Hadley “Bow” Bridge over the Sacandaga River
Historic Restoration, Structural Engineering, Investigation & Inspection
The “Bow” bridge, the only remaining “half-deck” lenticular truss bridge of the two or three ever built, was constructed in 1885 atop foundations from an earlier bridge constructed in 1818.
It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It was closed to vehicular traffic in 1983 because of severe deterioration.
The bridge deck was removed in 2000 when it was determined to no longer be safe for pedestrian use.
Saratoga County planned to dismantle the superstructure, but delayed this action at the request of several historic preservation groups.
Ryan Biggs | Clark Davis prepared a Historic Structures Report (HSR) describing the current condition of the bridge as well as several alternatives to rehabilitate the bridge for vehicular and pedestrian use.
Using the HSR, the County applied for and received a Transportation Enhancement Grant from the Federal Highway Administration.
Work involved stabilization and rehabilitation of the existing bridge and construction of an independent structural system to support legal traffic loads.
Work was approved by the NYS Historic Preservation Office, the Federal Highway Administration, and several historic preservation groups.
It was the winner of Platinum Award for Engineering Excellence from the American Council of Engineering Companies of New York.
It was the winner of Bridge Achievement Award from Eastern New York Chapter of the Association for Bridge Construction and Design.